Friday, January 12, 2007

"She ignored people who said it couldn't be done"

have you ever done something and afterwards stood back and secretly said to yourself...I FREAKIN ROCK!!!!!! Well today was a yay me day. It's official- I am in pre-law studies! Thanks to Athabasca university, who gives credit for life experience, I am shavin a year off my studies and should have my degree completed within 12 months or less!
Also, I am able to work on my first year of law consecutively through online courses. I am 32 years old but I figure if it takes me 3 years I am still young enough to have a great career. I am seriously taking this year to "throw away all my excuses" and do what I know I can. For all the girls in Heidi's AYTR class, if I can do it you can!
Once upon a time I used to feel sorry for myself that my parents couldn't afford to send me to college, but I did it myself and it felt even more rewarding when I graduated.Also, during my first year of studies, I found out I was pregnant. My one fogerty fart teacher from 1900 told me to dropout, way to promote education buddy. I took summer classes and correspondance and graduated with my calss.
Not everything is easy. today I met with one of my teachers from college 9 years ago- he threw out a tidbit. hey, you should organize a ten year reunion. You know what- I am going to do just that!I believe my life could have turned out very differently if I had chosen to focus on the fact that I came from a poor family, single mom of four. My mom has a grade 7 education and unfortunately feels she should work at a minimum wage job. She has the training and capability to work as a nutritionist at a hospital and has in the past but has let her focus slip away.
Today, I also had to let go of someone very important to me. I was crushed. (Jeanette and Candice I am stronger than you think:) Sometimes you have to know that you just can't help people who don't want to help themselves and it is so frustrating when you know they can do more, be more and are amazing!
For that person if you are reading this- know that I value you and love you enough that I can walk away and you will see if you can be strong enough to "live the life you imagined". Take it from one who knows, changes don't happen overnight. If you can't even be honest with yourself though, 10 years from now, you will look back and be in the same spot.
Well I am no Albert Einstein or anything but I know what i know. And what I know is that you can turn cant's into cans and dreams into plans! For my Heidi girls and all of you, I am rootin for ya, used to be a cheerleader ( my ass was smaller then)and anyone who needs a cheerleader, I recently found myself in need of someone new to cheer for.Let me know. So instead of crying today, I am going to smile for this small victory on a path I am going to move along quickly.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

way to go Tannis, you go girl! Have a great weekend!

Lynn

Stacy said...

i am glad you made some decisions and i am glad you have decided to get on with your goals let me know if i can help in anyway hun

Karla said...

Holy crap!!! Now I have to watch what I say. Does that mean no more naked booty pictures of the kids??? LOL!!!! Man you are an inspiration to us all honey! That's real.

Say...by the way...i just can't get enough of you. You make me laugh so hard. The only thing is my husband thinks I'm slowly going crazy!

Too bad I already am! Later girl
-Karla

Kimberly White said...

SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!
Kim

TammyBrownlee said...

YOU go girl!!! You do ROCK! A true inspiration to us all! I wish you nothing but the best!

Hey resend that paypal i nfo...my ass keeps forgetting to gett hat darn crap out to you!

Hey...you look pretty darn good for having children...you hot momma you!

Ronda P. said...

I have been wanting to post a BIG congratulations girl. You can accomplish anything. I must say I wouldn't want to come across you in a court of law, you're feisty! LOL! So you go girl!